A recent post from the McMaster University Optimal Aging Portal talks about how to avoid repeat visits to the hospital. The post highlights 5 evidence-based tips to help ensure you won't go until you know. To read the full post click here
1. Predict your risk: ready to return home from the hospital and/or that you may be high risk of returning to the hospital
2. Make a care plan: to ensure a successful recovery and reduce the risks of complications that could send you back to the hospital
3. Recruit your pharmacist: important, especially if you take 4 or more medications that could increase your risk of falls
4. Access post-treatment care: specialty clinics or services, community-based programs, telephone support to help check on your condition and help manage symptoms and recovery
5. Commit to making lifestyle changes: it's never too late to make changes that will improve your health and quality of life
It takes a Community to Prevent Falls...
The VON SMART Exercise and Fall Prevention Team is devoted to helping older adults and seniors to engage with their community to stay active, strong and independent.